Article contributed by guest writer Paula Corvalan from Digital Ready
If you understand the art of SEO (search engine optimisation) you can use it to expand your reach to your audience and showcase your work. Put simply, SEO has two components you need to be aware of. First, make sure your website is easy to understand and process by both search engines and your audience. Second, think about how many other (credible) places on the Internet are sending traffic to your website (known as backlinks). These two factors are primarily responsible for how highly your website will rank on search engines.
Below are some tips for you as a small business owner in the creative field on how you can use SEO to attract more viewers to your website.
Social Media Backlinks
Search engines LOVE traffic from social media pages and rank this higher than most other backlinks. Make sure you are sending traffic back to your website from your social media wherever possible.
Some simple ways to do this is:
- Ensure your website is correctly listed in your social media profile
- Link to a page on your website from social media posts
- Find ways to encourage other businesses to post links to your website, by providing interesting and relevant content, and cross-promoting with your own page
- Make sure your business is properly set-up with a Google+ account for bonus points from Google
Expand Your Web Presence
Providing free content for other websites within your niche is a great way to get links and traffic back to your website. This is great both for getting organic traffic to your website and also for boosting your website’s SEO.
It might require a little bit of creative thinking but there are loads of ways you can collaborate and cross-promote with other organisations. A great way to do this is to submit blog articles to other websites, just make sure they promise to promote your website and provide backlinks in return for your services. You can even embed links to your website within your blog; think of creative ways to do this.
Is your website up to scratch?
Search Engines preference websites that are easy for them to read. They also must be accessible for their users. When looking at your website you should stop to consider the following things:
- Is your website responsive – automatically adjusts display for different devices – mobile, tablet, etc?
- How big is your website and how long does it take to load?
- Do your titles contain relevant and important keywords?
Other things you should consider.
You should keep your website regularly updated with fresh content, usually in the form of a blog
- The content on your blog should be unique for maximum effect
- The important keywords for your blogs should be within the first 100 words
- Longer blogs result in higher SEO ranking as it encourages people to spend more time on your page
- Link to other relevant websites wherever possible
- Use social sharing buttons on your website to connect it to social media platforms wherever possible
For more information on SEO and access to free-to-use online training tools, instructional materials, blogs, and ‘how-to’ guides on using digital and on-line systems to grow your creative business go to our website: http://digitalready.org.au/home
Digital Ready: Digital Ready is part of the Australian Government’s Digital Business Kits Program. The aim of this program is to help organisations in the creative sector to use the extensive range of digital tools available to reach a wider audience and showcase their work. The online training will leave you with powerful strategies and knowledge to apply immediately – and it’s free!