A workshop for creative practitioners from students and grads to freelancers and professionals.
How do you say no? How do you negotiate your fees, and manage your professional relationships? Communication and mediation are vital parts of running any business, but many creatives have never learned the basics. Managing conflict in particular can be very scary indeed!
This fun and practical workshop goes through the basic elements of communicating with others, including the management of difficult negotiations and how to work towards a “win-win” scenario with tricky clients and challenging situations. We’ll also teach you how to manage the ‘deal’ – or the ‘no deal’.
By the end of this session, participants will have a better understanding of:
- The basic elements of effective communication, especially in business;
- Useful tips when managing clients and customers;
- Negotiating towards the “win-win” scenario;
- How to say NO without freaking out too much;
- Mapping conflict to reach the best resolutions;
- Practical application of these strategies, and more resources for mediation.
What do I get? All participants of this workshop also receive:
- A workbook stuffed full of extra resources and exercises in printed form;
- Lifetime access to a dedicated Deal or No Deal? dropbox folder full of additional resources and help;
- Access to a website full of additional free resources.
The workshop is relaxed and informal, you can ask all the questions you’ve never been able to ask before, and participants will also be given ample opportunity to network and get to know each other.
Who should enrol? This workshop is ideal for anyone working in the arts, from recent graduates to freelancers and more. If you find it hard to say NO, this workshop is for you! It’s also relevant no matter what your profession – filmmakers, writers, designers, visual artists, musicians, composers, dancers, performers – everyone can benefit from some help with their communication and negotiation.
Who is Presenting? Business advisor and creative industries expert Monica Davidson from the Creative Plus Business Group. Monica is a writer and filmmaker by trade who learned how to run a successful creative business and now shares that knowledge with others. In her workshops Monica discusses her own experiences, and shares examples from the 900-plus people she has mentored through the process of starting and building their creative businesses.
What is NSW Business Connect?
Business Connect is a dedicated and personalised NSW Government program that provides trusted advice to help you start or grow your small business. Creative Plus Business provides confidential, independent business advice and skills training for small and medium creative businesses across NSW as part of the NSW Government’s Business Connect program.