Grants are often held up as the holy grail of a successful arts career, and to be awarded “free” money can feel like a blessing, until you realise how much extra work is involved in researching and writing grants in the first place.
This fun and practical workshop helps artists to learn about grants, devise strategies to support their proposals and give guidance and tips on the written application.
Part 1 of the workshop covers:
- Understanding the grant landscape and researching the competitive nature of grants;
- Steps to prepare for a grant application, including research tips and business structures that enhance opportunities;
- Writing and planning tools to help manage time and make the most of government grants;
- Five ways to “not bugger up” a grant application.
Part 2 of the workshop covers:
- How to understand different types of grants to suit different projects and ideas, including tips for philanthropic grants;
- Real-life examples of successful and unsuccessful grant applications to inform your writing;
- Understanding when to accept an opportunity and what to turn down;
- How to use collateral to support a grant application;
- Continuing your grant researching and writing strategy as a regular part of your practice;
- Preparing for Grant Success;
- Other revenue strategies to help bring an idea to life.
What do I get?
All participants of this workshop also receive:
- Printed materials to help in class;
- Lifetime access to a dedicated Grant Song dropbox folder full of additional resources and help;
- The chance to organise additional professional support for your grant or tender application.
The workshop is relaxed and informal, you can ask all the questions you’ve never been able to ask before, and participants will also be given ample opportunity to network and get to know each other.
You also get free advice!
All NSW participants are entitled to 4 x 1 hour CHAT sessions, with a creative industries business advisor, 100% subsidised by Business Connect and therefore at no cost to you (no, there’s no catch!).
Who should enrol?
Creative people looking for a grant or revenue strategy that helps them with their ideas and developing their careers. This workshop is ideal for recent graduates, freelancers and anyone struggling with the grant-writing aspects of their creativity. You’re welcome to attend regardless of your creative practice or stage of professionalism.
Who is Presenting?
Irene Lemon is a producer and performer with over twenty years of experience in the creative industries, with business skills across a range of areas including grant and tender writing, campaign planning, project management, and business development. Irene has assisted hundreds of small business owners and students to build their capacity in the creative industries. As a professional grant writer she has achieved over 4.3 million $AUD in the last eight years for her clients and her own projects.
Next workshop: MELBOURNE
Date: Tuesday 23rd January 2018
Time: 6pm to 8:30pm
Venue: Sagra – 256-258 Glenferrie Road, Malvern
Would you like to know when we next run our live courses? Select from the list at the bottom and we’ll let you now when next we host a workshop!